Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Togolese Salad and breakfast in Ouagadougou

I loved this salad that you get to Togo. I'm told there is a similar one in Ghana.  Easy to make--

In a large bowl, toss cut up tomatoes, cucumber, cooked beets, onion, parsley, torn lettuce, 2 hard boiled eggs sliced, cold cooked spaghetti, add vinaigrette dressing, then some mayonnaise.  You can leave out any things you don't like or add others that you do, like grated carrot or avocado.  They tend to dump on lots of mayonnaise, I asked for just one small spoonful.  Dede enjoying the salad.


For breakfast in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, I had an omelet sandwich and tea at this woman's stand each morning.  One morning she had some veggies that she cooked along with the eggs, one morning she was out of gas and she had to cook on a charcoal grill, one morning I had to go across the street to buy the bread--the other days, it came with my order.  The fabric she is wearing, is printed to celebrate international women's day, the logo on her right shoulder. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting - but are you sure about the cold spaghetti? I guess so - there are macaroni salads that are tasty, so maybe spaghetti would be much the same. I will definitely give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete