Wednesday, February 24, 2010

greeting rituals

I have been struck by the elaborate greetings that one does here. As I bike to and from work I greet just about everyone I pass with "bonjour" or Hi, How are you? When you greet someone you know better, you might ask, "Did you sleep well?" "How's the family?" or specifically ask about different family members. Shaking hands is big in Senegal and I have to remind myself to do it. With people you know better, it is the French "embrasse" the hug and kiss and both cheeks, except here it goes back and forth 3 times, and sometimes 4. It is not uncommon, if a parent has been away for a few days or week, the next time I see them at school, it is the hug and kisses.

Recently one of the parents came to talk about her country, Namibia, in southern Africa. When the parents come, I ask them to teach us a greeting in their language, Oshiwambo. She taught us how to say hello or good morning but also taught us the reply--because there must a reply. This mother is also an assistant teacher at the school, so as I was chatting with her in the staff room, she continues to elaborate on the exchange that goes on. I asked her to relate all of it to me, so I could share it on the blog. Here is how the exchange goes in

Ongini--"How is it?"
Onawaa--"It is fine."
Walalapo--"Did you sleep well?"
Eeee--"Oh, yes" This is a long drawn out oh yes.
Wa la la po nawatuu--"Did you sleep very well" or
Wa la la po nombilituu--"Did you wake up with peace? or Is your spirit together?"
and then you ask about the household--with all the children and the whole household. and then after replies in the affirmative you say, "We give thanks to the spirit for keeping you peaceful." and then one replies Ombili-- "I wish you peace."


No comments:

Post a Comment