Monday, December 28, 2009

Village across the street--update two


Over the past month, the group of people (at least two families) directly across the street, built a new larger shed--using the wood savaged from next door--and then painting it turquoise! I especially like how one of the men pulled the bougainvillea flowers over the top of the other shed just to the left of the turquoise one. I watched him do it carefully because of the thorns.

In an earlier post, I wrote about the family that lived to the left of the little village directly across the street. They had suddenly departed. In the second photo you can see the empty lot--even the last shed in the back was taken down eventually.

Much activity across the street. Water jugs filled, I think they use the water from our building, as I have seen them leave the garage with the jugs. Sometimes wood or stones are piled up in front--and then moved somewhere else. Cooking seems to done in the back, right area.

When I leave in the morning it is not unusual to see one or two of the children washing up or brushing their teeth. The woman who uses the hand-crank wheelchair/tricycle, is often leaving for the day, when I take Parami out in the morning. The younger daughter rides on the back and the older girl walks beside or pushes from the back.

Christmas eve I walked over and gave the little girls a bracelet each and some chocolate chip cookies I had made. They all knew a few words of French and thanked me, not coming too close because I had the dogs with me. All the kids seem to be rather frightened of dogs. I should have gone without the dogs. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment