Monday, May 12, 2014

Return to Senegal

I recently returned from a visit to Senegal. I wanted to write about the trip and post some photos. I'll do a separate blog entry for several of the events.  Here are some of the highlights. Nalla met me in Dakar, and we took Almamy out to dinner for his birthday along with my former housekeeper, Martine.

We took a trip over the long weekend of Easter--we stayed one night at Martine's house in Mbour, 2nd night in Joal after visiting shell island, 3rd night in a baobab tree in Parmarin, and returned to Dakar by way of Soba Bade and hiked in the nature preserve of Popinguine. 

I met my "grandson" for the first time. Alabra, my french tutor, had gotten married and I knew his wife was pregnant when I left Dakar in June, 2012. He had sent me some photos, it isn't the same as holding him!

World Cultural Day at ISD was always special, and I'm happy that I got to spend that day at school. 

Since I was on vacation, I stayed up late one night to go out of a club to hear music. It took me two days to recover from staying out until 2 am. Of course I also saw other music and dancing--its everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment