Monday, April 27, 2009

40 years of teaching pays off

I recently took a former student out for dinner. I won't go into detail about how I found him, but he was in a therapeutic nursery school I taught in '69. The first time I have ever seen a former student with gray hair! At the time he was diagnosed with high functioning autism, today it would be Asperger's syndrome. He has done amazing things, traveled the world to unusual sites, and enjoys playing with his nieces and nephews. Of course, there were many people who worked with him along the way, but what a thrill for me to find out how a student progressed. He did not remember me. Here's to everyone who works with young children and never knows what happens after 40 years, know that you do make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. "A teacher affects eternity; he (she) can never tellw here his (her influence stops."
    --Henry Adams, 1907
    What a wonderful story of making a difference in a child/student's life and to have the opp
    to re-meet as adults.
    Congratluations to you, Fearless Flyer (your resounding answer that no, you are not afraid!)
    as you prepare for the next journey, and it's a big one, on your path.
    Carol (post Mothers' Group)

    ReplyDelete