Sunday, September 19, 2010

happiness and a book group



"If the relationship between money and well-being is complicated, the correspondence between personal relationships and happiness is not. The daily activities most associated with happiness are sex, socializing after work and having dinner with others. The daily activity most injurious to happiness is commuting. According to one study, joining a group that meets even just once a month produces the same happiness gain as doubling your income."



from a David Brook's editorial in New York Times last spring

As I am anticipating the first meeting of the English language book group this Monday, this quote has me reflecting on why I enjoy the group so much. Really, double my income? It is also the diversity of experiences and opinions of the members, reading books I might not otherwise, and good food.  


We are reading "Collapse" by Jared Diamond--I've passed on my copy to new teacher who is joining the group--so I started next month's selection "Sea of Poppies" by Amitav Ghosh, it is even better than "The Hungry Tide".  What is your book group reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment